Here are just a few of the best tips from the FBD Trainers (of course) regarding getting the most out of your strength workout. Send us a comment with one of your favorite tips!
1. Get Focused: The Mind | Muscle connection – concentrate on the muscle/area you are working. If you are working on your biceps, then focus on your biceps.
2. Set Performance Goals for specific exercises that you want to improve on, either by more repetitions of an exercise or by using more weight. It goes without saying, but we’ll harp on it anyway….NEVER compromise good form for more weight.
3. Test your limits: Pick the weight that will challenge you to get better (typically women underestimate the amount of weight they can handle).
4. Be prepared: Arrive a few minutes early to get “in the zone” for your personal training session. For class participants especially, you need to arrive early so that you can read and understand the workout of the day. You will need to figure out your weights for that day based on the type of sets that are posted.
5. Keep your core activated during all movements to stablize the body.
6. Make sure your body is properly nourished (fueled) before and after the workout.
7. Use pre-exhaustion techniques to target specific muscles or areas. Pre-exhaustion is using a single joint movement directly followed by a compound joint movement on the same muscle group. Example: chest fly’s before bench press
8. Be willing to push yourself to momentary muscle failure (MMF). This will help you to recruit more muscle fibers and build muscular strength.
9. Record your workouts! You don’t know where you are going if you haven’t written down where you’ve been.
10. Celebrate improvement: It’s hard to work to gain muscle and get stronger. Be excited about your accomplishments.